Freelance writing is a full time job for many freelance writers while for others like myself it is a way to earn some extra dollars on a monthly basis through both active and passive means.
There are many different types of freelance writer jobs:-
1) Writing for revenue sharing sites such as Helium, Associated Content, Triond, Bukisa. These tend to be the lowest paying freelance writer jobs available to freelance writers, however the competition for these type of jobs is very low.
2) Writing for higher upfront payments on sites such as Constant Content, Personalmoneystore, Brighthub,Demand Studios and others. These sites pay much mroe money and on Constant content you can actually set your own prices as well as the rights to your article.
3) Writing for individual clients. These clients can be found on online job sites such as elance, getafreelancer, odesk, problogger and through forums. If you build up a good reputation and produce quality work then there is a good chance a client will keep returning to you with more work.
4) Google adsense. Earning through google adsense is an excellent way to earn residual income, whether it be from your website, blog, or google adsense revenue sharing sites. My favourite google adsense revenue sharing site has got to be Xomba. I also maintain a niche website, Heart Facts.
5) Paid blogging. Some paid blogging jobs can offer as much as $50 per blog post, a pretty lucrative industry.
6) Writing your own ebook. If you are knowledgable about something then you can share it in an ebook. You can advertise your ebook on your niche specific website or on ebay or affiliate sites such as Clickbank.
These are just some examples of freelance writing jobs online, and the opportunites open to freelance writers. Currently most of my income comes from revenue sharing sites and google adsense.